60 United Travel Soccer Program is available for players aged 11 – 18 years.
Tryouts are required for all players joining the Travel Program. Players are evaluated during a two-day tryout period and team recommendations are based on soccer skills, athleticism and attitude. All players are evaluated by a minimum of three trainers.
Tryouts are held during the month of May. Results are posted on the 60 United website within a few days of tryouts. If a player is accepted to a team, registration is required in June.
Travel Teams are rostered in June for a Fall/Winter/Spring season of play. Teams are chosen based on a player’s skills within their age group. 60 United teams are categorized as Select and Premier. Teams are formed by matching players of equal playing ability. There is a natural division within the skill levels. This helps provide a challenging environment and furthers the development of all players. Our professional coaches coach both the A and B teams. Each year at tryouts every player has an equal chance of making the team of their choice.
The Travel soccer calendar runs for ten months, beginning with the August Preseason training (not mandatory) and continuing through the Spring League which concludes in Mid-June.
- August Preseason Training– The year begins with a three week clinic that develops players’ skills as well as gives the team an opportunity to get to know one another and have fun before the upcoming season. The clinic runs Monday through Thursday and practices last 1 ½ hours each day. It is during this time the coaches see the greatest development and growth in the players’ skills. The benefit of practicing on consecutive days provides accelerated skill development when daily reinforcement and repetition of new skills allows for greater mastery.
- Fall Season- September – Mid-November.
The Fall Season begins with a local tournament over the Labor Day weekend. This provides the team with an opportunity to play together and put into action the skills learned during the preseason training.
- After Labor Day, regular Fall Season begins with two practices (some teams three) per week and one game per week on the weekend. League games are scheduled through the second weekend in November.
- Winter (Indoor) January – March.
During the winter months, teams continue their training at the indoor practice facility located in Lake Bluff. Teams have two days of training. The Winter Season allows players to continue to maintain their soccer skills in preparation for spring.
- Spring Season April – Mid-June.
Spring Season allows the teams to move back to outdoor practice and play. Practices resume the 2 day per week (or 3) schedule with games on the weekends. The Spring Season begins the first week in April, coinciding with the first week students return from Spring Break.
- Game Schedules
Fall game schedules are posted at the end of August. Spring game schedules are posted in Mid-March.
o Girls’ Game Schedule – Girls games are played on Sundays in the IWSL league.
o Boys’ Game Schedule – Boys games are played on Saturdays in the YSSL league.
- Tournaments -
All teams participate in at least one local tournament during the year. Depending upon the skill level of the team, coaches may elect to register the team in an additional spring tournament or one over Memorial Day weekend. Our higher level teams participate in tournaments on a regional and national basis. These fall over breaks in the school calendar, typically Veteran’s Day or President’s Day Weekend. Tournaments are not scheduled over Christmas Break or Spring Break.
All practices and home games take place in Lake Forest or Vernon Hills. Away games in the Fall and Spring are played in the surrounding suburbs and Chicagoland area.
LFSA teams are registered with the following Illinois soccer organizations:
Illinois Youth Soccer Association
Young Sportsmen Soccer League
Post Office Box 724
Arlington Heights, IL 60006
Illinois Women’s Soccer League
Post Office Box 68849
Schaumburg, IL 60168-0849